Saturday, March 5, 2011

Connections

.





I am constantly discovering amazing new spaces and unexpected connections between the talent in the city.  I recently had the opportunity to tour Kal Monsur's studio in the west end close to my office - it is in an amazing building, complete with an axe throwing league (really), wonderfully high ceilings, weathered brick and an eclectic collection of tenants.  Philip Beesley's office was moving in as I was there - the crates of his brilliant Venice Biennale installation being carefully wheeled in - what an incredible space to show them.

I thoroughly enjoyed talking about ideas and opportunity for collaboration with Kal.  We also shared some New York nostalgia, having both lived there - Brooklyn had such a raw, dynamic energy at that time - this building reminded me a little of some of the converted industrial spaces I had known in Williamsburg.  Kal creates well crafted pieces using acrylic, walnut and back painting techniques - an interesting convergence of architectural and painterly processes.  I am looking forward to introducing his work to my clients, in particular the 'Pixels' series currently showing at O'Borne Contemporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment